Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Monkey's In The House #2

I'm back from my long, long road trip with my brother and three nephews (Huey, Dewey and Louie, or perhaps Moe, Larry and Curly), and as expected, I didn't do any work on the blog. I know most people these days remain in constant contact with i-phones this and i-pads that, but not the Monkey—when I travel, I travel like Christopher Columbus, that is to say, alone, out of the reach of civilization, ready to sail blindly off the edge of the earth into the celestial abyss.

It's the only way to fly.

But I'm back now and I don't anticipate any more interruptions, at least not for the rest of 2010. With any luck, I can respond to some of the comments you fine, fine folks left while I was gone and after that, I'll post my essay on the best comedy/musical of 1932-33.

3 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Welcome back, Mr. Monkey! and responses to our lame comments be damned -- it's more Mythical Monkey essays that we need :-)

mister muleboy said...

Who, I hold a different view.

I don't really care about the Monkey's conclusion that 42nd Street is not quite the movie that Duck Soup is: I want to hear why he thinks that the Boston Becks sound like a confused brewer's family.

Or something like that. Similar, only actually clever.


Of course, if he has an essay explaining why 42nd Street is superior to Duck Soup, well

there's an essay that might perk me up.

And any further essays on Douglas Fairbanks, who starred in 1932's brilliant Mr. Robinson Crusoe, would also be most appreciated.


So don't get the idea that I'm opposed to the essays -- I just favour the comments.





PS Mr. Robinson Crusoe co-starred Jessica Alba's great, great grandmother, Maria. . . .

Mythical Monkey said...

responses to our lame comments be damned

Remember: there are no lame comments, only lame people who make comments.

No, wait, that can't be right ...

I kid, Mr. Who. You've been dropping by here since the beginning of this blog -- that entitles you to being ribbed occasionally for no good reason other than leaving a nice straight-line hanging in the middle of the plate. Welcome to the Inner Circle.

The Inner Circle of Hell, that is, where all my friends hang out.

I don't really care about the Monkey's conclusion that 42nd Street is not quite the movie that Duck Soup is

What, you don't want another five thousand words restating the previous eighteen?

And any further essays on Douglas Fairbanks, who starred in 1932's brilliant Mr. Robinson Crusoe, would also be most appreciated.

Actually, when I finish the essays on best comedy and best drama (and write a recap of 1932-33), I'm going to spend the rest of the calendar year recapping movie history from 1888 to 1933 in 21 posts. I'll start with the post "1888-1905: The Nickelodeon Years," follow that with "1906-1914: Birth Of The Feature Film" and then cover one year a post from 1915 to 1933. I'll be mentioning Douglas Fairbanks in 1916, 1920 and 1924 for sure, with awards for best actor in 1920 (The Mask Of Zorro) and for producing the best "drama" of 1924, The Thief Of Bagdad.

Bet you're sorry you asked ...